Nepal Army Chief to visit India
Kathmandu: Nepal`s Army Gen Gaurav Shumsher Rana will pay a maiden visit to India from January 6 to further strengthen the age-old friendly relations existing between the armies of the two neighbouring nations.
Gen Rana, who assumed the top army post in September, will visit India at the invitation of his Indian counterpart Gen Bikram Singh.
During his 10-day long trip, he will be conferred with the title of honorary General of the Indian Army by President Pranab Mukherjee as per a long-held tradition of conferring the title on each other`s army chief.
Since 1965, both the armies have been conferring the honorary rank of General on each other`s Army Chief in view of the close military ties shared by the two countries.
Besides holding bilateral meeting with his Indian counterpart, Gen Rana will meet other top Indian civilian and military officials.
India-educated Gen Rana will be leading a six-member delegation of Nepal Army.
The visit is expected to further strengthen the age-old friendly relations existing between the two countries, Nepal Army Headquarters said in a statement today.
Rana took over the post of Nepal`s Army chief succeeding Gen Chhatra Man Singh Gurung. He passed out of The Lawrance School, Sanawar in Himachal Pradesh, and has served in the Nepal Army for the last 39 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside