Nepal, India discuss water resources,electricity,flood control
Kathmandu: Nepal and India have reviewed progress made by bilateral water resources projects and discussed issues relating to water resources, electricity, flood forecasting and flood control.
The matters were discussed during the two-day Nepal India Joint Technical Standing Committee meeting, held after a gap of two years, that concluded here on Friday, according to a press release issued by Department of Energy, Nepal.
The two sides reviewed progress made by bilateral water resources projects and discussed issues relating to flood forecasting and flood control, water resources and electricity, the release said on Saturday.
While the Nepalese delegation was led by Shiv Kumar Sharma, director general, Department of Immigration, the Indian side was led by Bibhas Kumar, chairman, Ganga Flood Control Commission of India.
The officials also discussed matters relating to Pancheshwar Multipurpose Project, head regulator of the Tanakpur Barrage under the Mahakali Treaty and irrigation facilities in the Chadani Dodhara area during the meeting.
They also discussed matters relating to Saptakoshi High Dam Multipurpose project, study of Sunkoshi- Kamala diversion project and Koshi and Gandak projects.
The officials agreed to expedite matters relating to cross-country transmission line, power trade and energy banking and exchange information on flood control mechanism.
The two sides reviewed the ongoing dam construction works being carried out in Bagmati, Kamala and Lalbakaiya rivers.
They also discussed matters relating to preparing a Detailed Project Report (DPR) of the 5,600 MW Pancheshwar Multipurpose Project and establishing a Pancheshwar Development Joint Authority to expedite development of the project.
However, no decision could be made regarding the finalisation of the proposed DPR that envisages sharing of electricity and water between Nepal and India on fifty-fifty basis.
The officials have agreed to convene the next meeting in India in February next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi