Nepal visit: PM Narendra Modi to arrive in Kathmandu today
Zee Media Bureau
Kathmandu: Making it the first bilateral visit by an Indian prime minister to this Himalayan nation in 17 years, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, accompanied by a team of 101-member delegation including seven ministers, will arrive here on Sunday morning on a two-day visit.
According to reports, both countries would discuss a range of bilateral relations and some agreements are likely to be inked, including in the field of hydropower.
Nepal is the second neighbouring country PM Modi is visiting after Bhutan in June this year.
Modi, who will also be accompanied by National Security Adviser Ajit Doval as well as captains of industry, will be the first foreign leader to address the Nepalese constituent assembly-cum-parliament Sunday.
Nepal Prime Minister Sushil Koirala, who was in New Delhi during Modi`s swearing-in ceremony, will receive the Indian prime minister at the Tribhuvan International Airport here.
Modi will also hold talks with Koirala tomorrow.
The last bilateral visit by an Indian prime minister to Nepal was by IK Gujral in June 1997. Earlier, Indian prime ministers have gone to Nepal but as part of multilateral visits.
On Monday, PM Modi will pray at the Pashupatinath temple, and later meet Nepal President Ram Baran Yadav, who would host a dinner for him.
He would also interact with leaders of the Nepalese business community.
Modi`s visit comes a week after External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj went to Kathmandu. During her visit, the two countries revived their joint commission after a gap of 23 years.
Meanwhile, today the security agencies from both the countries conducted a three-hour security drill on the routes where Modi will be travelling and at the Hotel Hyatt where he will stay. Three bullet-proof vehicles have already landed in Kathmandu.
The flags of Nepal and India were put up on the major streets of the city.
All preparations related to Modi`s visit have been completed, said Dinesh Bhattaraio, foreign relations adviser to Sushil Koirala.
The hotel has been told to prepare special vegetarian items, including Gujarati food.
Ahead of his visit, Modi tweeted: "Looking forward to visiting Nepal. Nepal and India are time-tested friends & our two nations share a common culture & heritage."
Looking forward to visiting Nepal. Nepal & India are time-tested friends & our two nations share a common culture & heritage.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 2, 2014
"I hope to have fruitful discussions with leaders & lawmakers of Nepal that will take India-Nepal relations to even greater heights," he said in another tweet.
I hope to have fruitful discussions with leaders & lawmakers of Nepal that will take India-Nepal relations to even greater heights.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 2, 2014
In a tweet in Hindi, Modi said his visit to Nepal was also important as he will be fortunate to pray to Lord Pashupatinath.
Nepal`s Speaker Subash Chandra Nembang has ordered a special tea from Ilam, a place in the country that produces world class green tea.
The Nepal Army conducted aerial surveillance in which Indian commandos also took part.
The media here has been covering the visit extensively. News channels are running talk shows related to the visit.
"I have never seen such a massive coverage in my life. The Modi wave has taken a grip over the Nepali media," Ramesh Thapa, a 63-year-old businessman from the suburbs of Kathmandu said, IANS reported.
Three hospitals have been kept on stand-by for medical emergencies.
Modi is scheduled to arrive on a special flight at 10.50 am on Sunday.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India