Nepal`s Army chief to get rank of honorary General in Indian Army
New Delhi: Nepalese Army chief Gen Gaurav Shamsher Rana will be here on an eight-day visit starting January 7 during which he will be conferred the honorary rank of General in the Indian Army by the President.
Since 1965, both the Armies have been conferring the honorary rank of General on each other`s Army Chief in view of the close military ties shared by the two countries.
On January 8, he is scheduled to be conferred the honorary rank of General by President Pranab Mukherjee, Army officials said here today.
Indian Army chief Gen Bikram Singh had visited Nepal in July this year in his first tour abroad after assuming the office of Chief of Army Staff.
During the visit, Rana is also scheduled to meet the top Indian military and political leadership during which the two sides are expected to discuss issues facing their ties and ways to further strengthen them.
He is also scheduled to visit various top-level military institutions.
India-educated Rana took over the post of Nepal`s Army chief in September succeeding Gen Chhatra Man Singh Gurung.
He passed out of The Lawrance School, Sanawar in Himachal Pradesh, and has served in the Nepal Army for the last 39 years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!