Netaji was scientist, environmentalist: Ramesh
Kolkata: Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh on Monday said that Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose was also a "planner, scientist and environmentalist".
"Netaji was a versatile genius whose many other facets have sadly been not studied much. We mostly know his contribution as a nationalist but people need to know about his immense contribution to the country as a planner, scientist and environmentalist," said Ramesh.
Ramesh was here on the occasion of Bose`s 115 birth anniversary celebrated at the Netaji Bhavan here.
"Netaji`s thoughts were far ahead of his time and still continue to be relevant," the minister said.
"His association with (astrophysicist) Meghnad Saha and (engineer and statesman) M Vishveshwariya not only contributed towards the creation of the Damodar Valley Corp but also the need for and use of developing scientific temper."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'