Never interfered in matters of CBI, says Govt
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Manmohan Singh-led UPA government came under intense pressure on Tuesday after the Supreme Court castigated the sharing of the CBI report on coal block allocation with the government.
Clearly, the government appears to have been cornered even as it frantically tries to prevent further erosion of its credibility.
2.50 pm Our govt never interfered in the matters of the CBI, says V Narayanasamy
2.20 pm Law Minister Ashwani Kumar meets PM Manmohan Singh
1.55 pm Whatever action is called for will be taken after I study SC observations, says PM Manmohan Singh on coal issue
1.47 pm Matter between SC and Govt, don`t want to comment, says CBI director Ranjit Sinha on whether CBI works under pressure
1.40 pm I had said in my PAC report also that CBI should be made independent from the Govt- Murli Manohar Joshi
1.20 pm ASG Haren Raval replaced by senior advocate U U Lalit to
represent CBI in the case.
1.10 pm CBI says will abide by SC’s observations. Emergency meeting at CBI headquarters to discuss SC observations on Coalgate
12.50 pm Prime Minister Manmohan Singh meets Congress President
Sonia Gandhi`s Political Adviser Ahmed Patel
12:48 pm CBI affidavit is totally opposite of what the government had been saying, says senior lawyer Prashant Bhushan, who is a petitioner in the case
12:13 pm The Opposition creates storm in Parliament over the Supreme Court`s observations on the coal scam. Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj terms the UPA government as the most corrupt since independence
Earlier, in a big embarrassment to the government in the Coalgate case, the Supreme Court today termed as "very disturbing" the CBI affidavit on sharing its report with the Law Minister and others and slammed the agency for having kept the court in the dark on the issue.
Hearing the coal blocks allocation scam case in a packed courtroom, the bench said "suppression" of the fact that CBI has shared its probe report with the government is "not ordinary".
A bench headed by Justice R M Lodha observed that there was a "very disturbing feature" in the affidavit filed on April 26 by CBI Director Ranjit Sinha and the agency must be restored to its independent position.
Sinha, in his two page affidavit filed in the apex court, had said that the agency`s status report on coal allocation scam was "shared" with Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and senior officials of PMO and Coal ministry "as desired by them".
The apex court said that sharing of information with the government about the probe into the scam has "shaken the entire process" and CBI need not take instructions from "political masters" on their probe.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'