Never interfered in matters of CBI, says Govt
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Manmohan Singh-led UPA government came under intense pressure on Tuesday after the Supreme Court castigated the sharing of the CBI report on coal block allocation with the government.
Clearly, the government appears to have been cornered even as it frantically tries to prevent further erosion of its credibility.
2.50 pm Our govt never interfered in the matters of the CBI, says V Narayanasamy
2.20 pm Law Minister Ashwani Kumar meets PM Manmohan Singh
1.55 pm Whatever action is called for will be taken after I study SC observations, says PM Manmohan Singh on coal issue
1.47 pm Matter between SC and Govt, don`t want to comment, says CBI director Ranjit Sinha on whether CBI works under pressure
1.40 pm I had said in my PAC report also that CBI should be made independent from the Govt- Murli Manohar Joshi
1.20 pm ASG Haren Raval replaced by senior advocate U U Lalit to
represent CBI in the case.
1.10 pm CBI says will abide by SC’s observations. Emergency meeting at CBI headquarters to discuss SC observations on Coalgate
12.50 pm Prime Minister Manmohan Singh meets Congress President
Sonia Gandhi`s Political Adviser Ahmed Patel
12:48 pm CBI affidavit is totally opposite of what the government had been saying, says senior lawyer Prashant Bhushan, who is a petitioner in the case
12:13 pm The Opposition creates storm in Parliament over the Supreme Court`s observations on the coal scam. Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj terms the UPA government as the most corrupt since independence
Earlier, in a big embarrassment to the government in the Coalgate case, the Supreme Court today termed as "very disturbing" the CBI affidavit on sharing its report with the Law Minister and others and slammed the agency for having kept the court in the dark on the issue.
Hearing the coal blocks allocation scam case in a packed courtroom, the bench said "suppression" of the fact that CBI has shared its probe report with the government is "not ordinary".
A bench headed by Justice R M Lodha observed that there was a "very disturbing feature" in the affidavit filed on April 26 by CBI Director Ranjit Sinha and the agency must be restored to its independent position.
Sinha, in his two page affidavit filed in the apex court, had said that the agency`s status report on coal allocation scam was "shared" with Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and senior officials of PMO and Coal ministry "as desired by them".
The apex court said that sharing of information with the government about the probe into the scam has "shaken the entire process" and CBI need not take instructions from "political masters" on their probe.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM