Never interfered in matters of CBI, says Govt
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Manmohan Singh-led UPA government came under intense pressure on Tuesday after the Supreme Court castigated the sharing of the CBI report on coal block allocation with the government.
Clearly, the government appears to have been cornered even as it frantically tries to prevent further erosion of its credibility.
2.50 pm Our govt never interfered in the matters of the CBI, says V Narayanasamy
2.20 pm Law Minister Ashwani Kumar meets PM Manmohan Singh
1.55 pm Whatever action is called for will be taken after I study SC observations, says PM Manmohan Singh on coal issue
1.47 pm Matter between SC and Govt, don`t want to comment, says CBI director Ranjit Sinha on whether CBI works under pressure
1.40 pm I had said in my PAC report also that CBI should be made independent from the Govt- Murli Manohar Joshi
1.20 pm ASG Haren Raval replaced by senior advocate U U Lalit to
represent CBI in the case.
1.10 pm CBI says will abide by SC’s observations. Emergency meeting at CBI headquarters to discuss SC observations on Coalgate
12.50 pm Prime Minister Manmohan Singh meets Congress President
Sonia Gandhi`s Political Adviser Ahmed Patel
12:48 pm CBI affidavit is totally opposite of what the government had been saying, says senior lawyer Prashant Bhushan, who is a petitioner in the case
12:13 pm The Opposition creates storm in Parliament over the Supreme Court`s observations on the coal scam. Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj terms the UPA government as the most corrupt since independence
Earlier, in a big embarrassment to the government in the Coalgate case, the Supreme Court today termed as "very disturbing" the CBI affidavit on sharing its report with the Law Minister and others and slammed the agency for having kept the court in the dark on the issue.
Hearing the coal blocks allocation scam case in a packed courtroom, the bench said "suppression" of the fact that CBI has shared its probe report with the government is "not ordinary".
A bench headed by Justice R M Lodha observed that there was a "very disturbing feature" in the affidavit filed on April 26 by CBI Director Ranjit Sinha and the agency must be restored to its independent position.
Sinha, in his two page affidavit filed in the apex court, had said that the agency`s status report on coal allocation scam was "shared" with Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and senior officials of PMO and Coal ministry "as desired by them".
The apex court said that sharing of information with the government about the probe into the scam has "shaken the entire process" and CBI need not take instructions from "political masters" on their probe.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared