Never thought I would reach that far: PM
Washington: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
today said he never thought that he would get an opportunity
to lead India one day, and attributed his success to the
functioning of democracy in the country.
"I never thought that I would reach that far," the Prime
Minister said in an interview to CNN.
"I am what I am, because of the education that I
"But it`s due to democracy that a person with such a
background as mine can, I think, become the Prime Minister of
this great republic of ours," Singh said in response to a
Asked whether world has anything to learn from the
Indian democracy, the Prime Minister said if it (India)
succeeds in remaining a functioning democracy, and
simultaneously tackling problems of poverty, disease,
illiteracy, it is going to be an international public good.
"It would have lessons for the evolution of the
countries of the hitherto Third World in the 21st century,"
the Prime Minister said.
"The fact that there are very few countries of India`s
size, which have remained functioning democracy throughout the
60 years of our independence, I think the world has to
"If we do succeed, it will have some bearing on the
evolution of the countries of the Third World in the 21st
century," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today