New act to deal with benami transactions
New Delhi: The government on Thursday approved a proposal to bring a new legislation for stricter control over benami transactions amid the UPA regime facing heat over the black money issue from various quarters.
The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here.
It was decided that subsequently, a new benami transactions (Prohibition) Bill 2011 will replace the existing Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Act, 1988.
"The new Bill contains elaborate provisions dealing with the definition of benami transaction and benami property, prohibited benami transactions, consequences of entering into a prohibited benami transaction and the procedure for implementing the benami law," Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told reporters here.
Under the proposed new law, anyone violating the rule can be jailed for not less than six months, which may be extended to two years and also be liable to a fine.
Explaining the need for a fresh legislation, the minister said: "It was found that owing to infirmities in the (existing) legislation, formulation of rules would not be
possible without a comprehensive legislation by repealing the Act".
"Properties held by coparcener in a Hindu undivided family and property held by a person in fiduciary capacity are excluded from the definition of benami transaction", she said.
The minister further pointed out that "properties acquired by an individual in the name of spouse, brother or sister or any other lineal ascendant or descendant are benami transactions which are not prohibited".
Benami transactions are one of the notorious sources of circulation and investment of black money. The government has been facing heat on black money from the Supreme Court, civil society and Opposition for not doing enough to
deal the menace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof