New anti-rape laws will create fear among offenders: Tirath
New Delhi: Reiterating that the government is committed to ensure stringent punishment for crimes against women, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Saturday said that the ordinance approved by the Union Cabinet on the basis of the Justice Verma Committee report, will definitely create fear among the criminal elements of the society.
Talking about the ordinance, which was approved by the Cabinet and sent to the President, Tirath said that the government has agreed to most of the suggestions proposed by the Justice Verma Committee.
“The Cabinet has agreed to most of the recommendations proposed by in the Justice Verma Committee report. We have included issues like stalking, acid attack and the stringent punishment in the ordinance sent to the President. We will get it passed through Parliament in the upcoming Budget session,” said Tirath.
Meanwhile, various women’s rights activists have criticised the government for ignoring the committee recommendations regarding marital rape and reviewing controversial sections of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).
The ordinance introduced yesterday is also silent on the recommendation to prevent politicians facing charges of sexual crimes, from contesting elections.
The three-member committee led by former Chief Justice of India Justice (Retired) JS Verma, was constituted after the countrywide outrage following the gruesome incident of Delhi gang rape on December 16 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir