New anti-rape laws will create fear among offenders: Tirath
New Delhi: Reiterating that the government is committed to ensure stringent punishment for crimes against women, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Saturday said that the ordinance approved by the Union Cabinet on the basis of the Justice Verma Committee report, will definitely create fear among the criminal elements of the society.
Talking about the ordinance, which was approved by the Cabinet and sent to the President, Tirath said that the government has agreed to most of the suggestions proposed by the Justice Verma Committee.
“The Cabinet has agreed to most of the recommendations proposed by in the Justice Verma Committee report. We have included issues like stalking, acid attack and the stringent punishment in the ordinance sent to the President. We will get it passed through Parliament in the upcoming Budget session,” said Tirath.
Meanwhile, various women’s rights activists have criticised the government for ignoring the committee recommendations regarding marital rape and reviewing controversial sections of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).
The ordinance introduced yesterday is also silent on the recommendation to prevent politicians facing charges of sexual crimes, from contesting elections.
The three-member committee led by former Chief Justice of India Justice (Retired) JS Verma, was constituted after the countrywide outrage following the gruesome incident of Delhi gang rape on December 16 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand