New anti-rape laws will create fear among offenders: Tirath
New Delhi: Reiterating that the government is committed to ensure stringent punishment for crimes against women, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Saturday said that the ordinance approved by the Union Cabinet on the basis of the Justice Verma Committee report, will definitely create fear among the criminal elements of the society.
Talking about the ordinance, which was approved by the Cabinet and sent to the President, Tirath said that the government has agreed to most of the suggestions proposed by the Justice Verma Committee.
“The Cabinet has agreed to most of the recommendations proposed by in the Justice Verma Committee report. We have included issues like stalking, acid attack and the stringent punishment in the ordinance sent to the President. We will get it passed through Parliament in the upcoming Budget session,” said Tirath.
Meanwhile, various women’s rights activists have criticised the government for ignoring the committee recommendations regarding marital rape and reviewing controversial sections of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).
The ordinance introduced yesterday is also silent on the recommendation to prevent politicians facing charges of sexual crimes, from contesting elections.
The three-member committee led by former Chief Justice of India Justice (Retired) JS Verma, was constituted after the countrywide outrage following the gruesome incident of Delhi gang rape on December 16 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees