New Army Chief lifts ban on Lt Gen Suhag’s promotion
New Delhi: Overturning the decision of his predecessor Gen V K Singh, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh has lifted the ban on promotion of Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag clearing the way for his appointment as Eastern Army Commander.
The 3 Corps Commander, who can head the army in 2014, was put under a Discipline and Vigilance Ban by Gen V K Singh on charges of "abdicating responsibility" in handling an intelligence and surveillance unit under his command after a failed operation in Assam.
The decision to lift the DV ban on Lt Gen Suhag was taken by the Army Chief and the officer can now be promoted, sources said here.
The post of Eastern Commander is lying vacant since Gen Bikram Singh took over as the Army Chief.
The DV Ban resulted in the holding up the promotion of the officer as Eastern Army Commander. The promotion had been already approved by the Defence Ministry and was being considered by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) for the elevation.
Gen V K Singh had issued a show cause notice to the officer on May 19 and subsequently imposed the DV Ban on him. Lt Gen Suhag filed his reply on May 31, the same day Gen V K Singh retired and the new incumbent took over.
Lt Gen Suhag was earlier given only seven days to respond to the notice but was later given ten more days to do so after the Defence Ministry intervened and sought a detailed reply form the Army Headquarters about the entire episode.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre