New bench constituted in SC to monitor and hear 2G scam
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam has constituted a new bench to hear all cases pertaining to 2G scam after Justice GS Singhvi, who has been hearing for the last three years on irregularities in the allocation of spectrum, expressed his desire to be relieved in view of his retirement in December.
Justice Singhvi, who is to retire on December 11, has written to Chief Justice saying he has just two months left for retirement and has to complete a huge lot of judicial work pending with him in the short span left.
A new bench comprising Justices HL Dattu and KS Radhakrishnan will hear the case which was earlier being heard by a bench of justices Singhvi and Radhakrishnan.
There are various issues still to be decided by the apex court including the various application filed by different accused challenging trial court order of framing charge sheets against them.
It will also decide Bharti Airtel chief Sunil Mittal`s plea against the trial court order summoning him as an accused in the 2G scam case. The bench will also monitor the CBI probe into alleged involvement of former telecom minister Dayanidhi Maran in the Aircel-Maxis deal.
The cases pertaining to 2G scam was first heard by bench of Justice Singhvi and Justice AK Ganguly(since retired) and it had quashed the 122 licences granted during former telecom minister A Raja`s tenure, in its judgement on February 2 last year.
After the retirement of Justice Ganguly, a special bench of Justices Singhvi and Radhakrishnan was constituted which has been hearing the matter since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!