New bird flu outbreak in India
New Delhi: Avian influenza, popularly known
as bird flu, has been confirmed in Nadia district in West
"Bird flu has been confirmed in poultry samples collected
from two villages of Tehatta I block in Nadia District of West
Bengal," an official statement said.
The samples sent to the ERDDL Kolkata and High Security
Animal Disease Laboratory (HSADL) Bhopal have tested positive
for H5 strain of Avian Influenza, it added.
The government has ordered immediate culling of birds and
destruction of eggs and feed material to control the spread of
the disease, the statement said.
"It has also been decided that the entire poultry will be
culled within a radius of three kilometers (km) of the foci of
infection. In addition to the culling strategy, surveillance
will be carried out over a further radius up to 10 km," it
The West Bengal government has been asked to furnish a
daily report on the control and containment operations to the
Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries.
The Centre has advised declaration of infected and
surveillance areas, ban on movement of poultry and products in
the infected area/closure of poultry and egg markets and shops
within a radius of 10 km from the infected site, said the
Ban on movement of farm personnel, restricting access to
wild and stray birds, restricting access to the infected
premises, destruction of birds, disposal of dead birds and
infected materials has also been recommended, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video