New bird flu outbreak in India
New Delhi: Avian influenza, popularly known
as bird flu, has been confirmed in Nadia district in West
"Bird flu has been confirmed in poultry samples collected
from two villages of Tehatta I block in Nadia District of West
Bengal," an official statement said.
The samples sent to the ERDDL Kolkata and High Security
Animal Disease Laboratory (HSADL) Bhopal have tested positive
for H5 strain of Avian Influenza, it added.
The government has ordered immediate culling of birds and
destruction of eggs and feed material to control the spread of
the disease, the statement said.
"It has also been decided that the entire poultry will be
culled within a radius of three kilometers (km) of the foci of
infection. In addition to the culling strategy, surveillance
will be carried out over a further radius up to 10 km," it
The West Bengal government has been asked to furnish a
daily report on the control and containment operations to the
Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries.
The Centre has advised declaration of infected and
surveillance areas, ban on movement of poultry and products in
the infected area/closure of poultry and egg markets and shops
within a radius of 10 km from the infected site, said the
Ban on movement of farm personnel, restricting access to
wild and stray birds, restricting access to the infected
premises, destruction of birds, disposal of dead birds and
infected materials has also been recommended, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!