New CAG could have conflict of interest: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday expressed reservations over appointment of Shashi Kant Sharma as CAG, saying there could be a "conflict of interest" as he will be auditing defence deals in which he had a role as Defence Secretary.
"Those who have a conflict of interest should not decide.... The new CAG will look into issues in which he had a role," Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said as the party alleged that appointments made to constitutional and statutory offices establishes that the policy of the government is to subvert these institutions.
Asked about the party`s reaction to the appointment of new CAG, the BJP leader said, "I won`t comment on the person. But in the government budget, the biggest expenditure is on defence. If the auditing is on this issue, he is himself auditing it...."
Jaitley and Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said, "the policy of the UPA has been callous disregard of all democratic institutions.
"The quality of appointments made to constitutional and statutory offices establishes that the policy of the government is to subvert these institutions," the two leaders said in a joint statement.
Sharma has spent over ten years in the Defence Ministry during which high profile and controversial deals were finalised like the VVIP Chopper agreement that is under the scanner with the CBI investigating allegations that bribes worth crores were paid to swing the contract in favour of the Italian company AgustaWestland.
They also said some key appointments made in important institutions by UPA are questionable and courts had to intervene to protect such institutions.
"Be it the Election Commission, the National Human Rights Commission or the CVC, some of the appointments that the UPA made are highly questionable. At times the judiciary had to intervene for institutional protection," the statement said.
Sharma, a 1976-batch IAS officer who was appointed as CAG after Vinod Rai completed his term, has had a long innings in the Defence Ministry that saw him not only overseeing most major defence acquisitions in the past decade but also managing a series of crises there.
He is now expected to play a significant role in audit of defence acquisitions, most of which took place during his tenure in the defence ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon