New Coast Guard station commissioned in Little Andaman
Port Blair: Lieutenant Governor of Andaman
and Nicobar Bhupinder Singh on Thursday lauded the Coast Guard for
playing an important role in ensuring the security of maritime
zones in and around the islands.
Unveiling a plaque at the commissioning of a new Coast
Guard station at Hutbay in Little Andaman, Singh in his speech
congratulated Vice-Admiral D K Joshi, commander-in-chief
Andaman and Nicobar Command for his contribution.
Speaking on the occasion, Joshi highlighted the
vulnerability of these islands due to its geographical
separation from the mainland and the political, economic and
strategic development in the Indian Ocean region.
Setting up of a Coast Guard station at Hutbay will also
facilitate effective sea control, he said.
Earlier Deputy Inspector General K R Nautiya, Commander
Coast Guard, in his speech said though the Coast Guard station
at Hutbay was conceptualised in mid 90`s and ten acres of land
was acquired for the purpose in 2001, the process of setting
up of the station was initiated in October 2009.
The station will be under Commandant Anwar Khan and his
On the cooperation between the Coast Guard and the
Pakistani Maritime Security Agency (MSA), Chopra said, "We
have a hotline and we talk every Wednesday to keep track of
incidents that have taken place during the week and mostly it
is about the movement of fishing craft crossing the
international boundary... We try to make sure that the amount
of intrusion is less."
About the level of cooperation between Maldives and India,
the Coast Guard DG said the two countries were equal sovereign
nations and India was not providing any "security umbrella" to
the island nation.
"We are there to exercise together as two sovereign
independent nations and as part of the mutual security in that
part of the India ocean for the last twenty years, and we
basically exercise together as all maritime forces do to
increase interoperability," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 2: GL vs SRH – 5 facts you must know ahead of virtual semi-final
- China to send lunar probe 'Chang'e 5' on moon!
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared on May 30. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- Barack Obama arrives at Hiroshima atomic bomb park
- Boat sinks in Ganga, eight feared drowned in Katihar