New committee to ensure mid-day meals` quality
New Delhi: The union government has decided to form a new committee to look into the quality of food being provided under the mid-day meal scheme, Human Resource Development Minister MM Pallam Raju said on Thursday.
"What has happened is a very sad incident and we are pained by the deaths of 23 young children and I think the focus should be to see that it doesn`t occur again," Raju told reporters here.
The children died after eating contaminated meal on Tuesday at their school in Bihar`s Saran district.
The minister said the time has come to strengthen the programme further so that it is implemented in a better manner.
"We have decided to form a committee which will be looking into qualitative aspect of the programme -- the quality of food that is supplied, the effectiveness of supply chain and hygiene of the place where it is cooked," he said.
He said action will be taken against those responsible for the incident in Bihar.
"Responsibility will be pinned on what has gone wrong and who is responsible for it. But having said that, mid-day meal is an important and integral part of schooling system which gives minimum nutrients to our children," he said.
"And all efforts should be made that the scheme is strengthened and implemented well ... So that should be the focus and not a blame game," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video