New hard plastic voter identity card on the anvil
New Delhi: The laminated voter identity card made of paper with black and white photograph is all set to undergo a change with the Election Commission planning to replace it with a driving licence-like hard plastic card which is more durable.
"At present, the laminated Elector`s Photo Identity Card (EPIC) is made of paper with the voter`s black and white photograph. Now we are considering changing it at the pan- India level to a hard plastic card, something like a driving licence or a credit card, with colour photo," Deputy Election Commissioner Alok Shukla said.
The new voter card will be first issued in Assam and Nagaland and it will be done free of cost there, he told an Interactive Session here yesterday.
Nearly 95 percent of India`s over 700 million voters are covered by EPIC except in Assam and Nagaland. While the current card costs about Rs 10-12, the more durable new EPIC will come for less than Rs 50.
However, the Commission will charge a fee, which will be less than Rs 50, from the voters holding the present EPIC to convert them into hard plastic cards. The choice to opt for the new version will be that of the voter.
The Commission has already held meetings with representatives of various organisations -- both private and state-owned-- to decide on the price for making the new card.
But the new card will not be a smart card like a driving licence, EC officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened