New Indian envoy arrives in US amid diplomatic row
Washington: S Jaishankar has arrived here to take charge as the new Indian Ambassador to the US amid a raging diplomatic row over the arrest and strip-search of senior diplomat Devyani Khobragade on visa fraud charges.
He is assuming the post at a time when both countries have intensified efforts to find an amicable resolution to the issue of Khobragade`s arrest.
Jaishankar, who till recently was Ambassador to China, arrived in Washington yesterday. He is expected to present his credentials to President Barack Obama at the White House after the New Year.
Known as one of the brightest diplomats of his generation and a key player during negotiations for the India-US civilian nuclear deal, Jaishankar`s first task will be to prevent ties from being hit any further over the incident involving Khobragade.
She was arrested on December 12 for allegedly making false declarations in a visa application for her maid Sangeeta Richard and released on a USD 250,000 bond after being charged with visa fraud.
Khobragade has since been transferred from the Consulate in New York to India`s permanent mission to the UN. The US is reviewing paperwork it received from the UN for her diplomatic accreditation, a State Department spokesperson said today.
Revelations that she was strip searched and held with criminals after her arrest triggered a row between the two sides.
Born in New Delhi in 1955, Jaishankar is the son of prominent strategic affairs analyst, commentator and civil servant K Subrahmanyam and brother of historian Sanjay Subrahmanyam.
Jaishankar succeeds Nirupama Rao, who was appointed envoy to the US after she retired as Foreign Secretary. He also served as First Secretary in the Embassy in Washington during 1985-88.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?