New Indian envoy to China presents his credentials
Beijing: Ashok K Kantha, the new Indian ambassador to China, has presented his credentials at the Chinese Foreign Ministry here, expressing his determination to maintain the present momentum in the bilateral ties.
Kantha presented the copy yesterday to Assistant foreign minister Zhang Kunsheng.
Kunsheng welcomed Ambassador Kantha to Beijing and expressed the hope that the latter would have a successful tenure.
Kantha expressed his determination to work with the Chinese Government, to maintain the present momentum in the relationship and enhance it in all areas, in keeping with the understandings reached between the leaders.
In this context, the Assistant Foreign Minister and Ambassador noted the importance of ensuring the success of the Year of Friendly Exchanges in 2014.
Ambassador Kantha has many years of experience on India-China relations and is also a Mandarin speaker.
He arrived in China on Sunday to take charge as the Indian ambassador there.
During the period 2003-2007, as Head of the East Asia Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, Kantha played a significant role in shaping India`s relations with the countries of the region, including China.
Earlier, he served as the Consul General of India to Hong Kong and Macau from 2000 to 2003.
Before coming to Beijing, Ambassador Kantha served as Secretary (Vice Minister) to the Government of India at the Ministry of External Affairs in Delhi till January 2014.
He had a long stint as the High Commissioner of India in Sri Lanka from November 2009 to May 2013.
Before going to Sri Lanka, he was India`s High Commissioner to Malaysia from April 2007 to November 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town