New Indian envoy to China presents his credentials
Beijing: Ashok K Kantha, the new Indian ambassador to China, has presented his credentials at the Chinese Foreign Ministry here, expressing his determination to maintain the present momentum in the bilateral ties.
Kantha presented the copy yesterday to Assistant foreign minister Zhang Kunsheng.
Kunsheng welcomed Ambassador Kantha to Beijing and expressed the hope that the latter would have a successful tenure.
Kantha expressed his determination to work with the Chinese Government, to maintain the present momentum in the relationship and enhance it in all areas, in keeping with the understandings reached between the leaders.
In this context, the Assistant Foreign Minister and Ambassador noted the importance of ensuring the success of the Year of Friendly Exchanges in 2014.
Ambassador Kantha has many years of experience on India-China relations and is also a Mandarin speaker.
He arrived in China on Sunday to take charge as the Indian ambassador there.
During the period 2003-2007, as Head of the East Asia Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, Kantha played a significant role in shaping India`s relations with the countries of the region, including China.
Earlier, he served as the Consul General of India to Hong Kong and Macau from 2000 to 2003.
Before coming to Beijing, Ambassador Kantha served as Secretary (Vice Minister) to the Government of India at the Ministry of External Affairs in Delhi till January 2014.
He had a long stint as the High Commissioner of India in Sri Lanka from November 2009 to May 2013.
Before going to Sri Lanka, he was India`s High Commissioner to Malaysia from April 2007 to November 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble