“New Kalpakkam N-reactor to be ready in 2 years”
Mumbai: Even as the Kudankulum nuclear
power facility in Tamil Nadu faces stiff opposition from
locals and activists on safety concerns, the country`s atomic
power plant operator today said the 500-mw prototype fast
breeder reactor (PFBR) being set up at Kalpakkam is likely to
be commissioned within the next two years.
"Construction work on the reactor is in the advanced
stage and we expect it to start generating electricity in the
next two years," Umesh Chandra, Senior Executive Director
(safety), Nuclear Power Corporation (NPCIL), told PTI here.
State-run NPCIL has embarked on a three-stage nuclear
power programme that comprises pressurized heavy water
reactors (PHWRs) in the first stage, fast breeder reactors
(FBRs) in second and thorium-based systems in the third stage.
The programme is based on a closed fuel cycle, where
the spent fuel of one stage is reprocessed to produce fuel for
the next stage. This multiplies manifold the energy potential
of the fuel and greatly reduces the quantity of waste.
The first phase comprises optimum utilization of the
limited uranium resources and higher plutonium yield for the
second stage fuel for FBRs.
"In view of the limited fossil fuel availability with
the country, this programme will enable us to make maximum
utilization of uranium and thorium fuel," he said.
Chandra said some vital equipment have already been
set up at Kalpakkam near Chennai. "We believe that the unit
will be commissioned within the next two years after getting
approvals from the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB)."
He said after the commissioning of this unit, another
8-10 such facilities will be set up. "It will take another
10-15 years to start the third stage."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata