New Land Acquisition Act comes into force
New Delhi: The new Land Acquisition Act, enacted by Parliament this year, comes into force on Wednesday.
It will replace a 120-year-old legislation.
The historic Act will aim to provide just and fair compensation to farmers. It was passed during the Monsoon Session of Parliament and received President Pranab Mukherjee`s assent on September 27.
The Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act" stipulates mandatory consent of at least 70 per cent of affected people for acquiring land for public-private partnership projects, and 80 per cent for acquiring land for private companies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble