New leadership to give importance to ties with India: Wen
Phnom Penh: China`s new leadership will accord great importance to relations with India, outgoing Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao told his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh during a meeting here on Monday.
Wen said he cherished working with Singh over the last eight years during which they met for 14 times.
The new Chinese leadership will give "great importance" to relations with India, Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai quoted Wen as saying.
"We established good working relationship and friendship between us. This is reflection of friendship between our two great nations," Wen told Singh on the sidelines of the ASEAN Summit here in the Cambodian capital.
Singh and Wen have met 14 times earlier and the Chinese Premier said today`s meeting could be the last as he would be demitting office in March.
"This is possibly the last meeting between us in my remaining tenure," 70-year-old Chinese leader said, while referring to the change of leadership in China last week under which he will demit office in March.
Wen is expected to be replaced by Li Keqiang as Premier.
Singh hailed Wen`s personal endeavour to make the bilateral relationship "stronger, wider and deeper".
He specifically referred to Wen`s two visits to India in 2005 and 2010, saying these helped make the ties "stronger".
"I personally value working with you," Singh told Wen.
Singh offered congratulations on the successful conclusion of the 18th National Congress of the ruling Communist Party of China, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
At the conclusion of the Congress, the CPC elected Xi Jinping as its new General Secretary. Xi will replace Hu Jintao as the communist nation`s President in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'