New-look Oberoi Hotel to reopen on April 24

Last Updated: Friday, April 9, 2010 - 18:16

Mumbai: Seventeen months after The Oberoi
closed down due to heavy damage in the 26/11 terror attack,
the luxury sea-facing hotel is all set to reopen with a new
look on April 24.

The Oberoi has undergone a complete renovation at an
estimated cost of Rs 90 crore, a hotel official said.
The hotel authorities have decided to keep the opening
ceremony a low profile event.

In spite of the hotel enjoying a high occupancy rate,
the rooms have been reduced to 287 from the earlier 330 while
the three restaurants have been refurbished with a new taste
and decor.

One of the restaurants is The Vetro serving Italian
cuisine while the Kandahar restaurant which suffered maximum
damage in the attack would be renamed Ziya.

Following the closing down, the Oberoi Hotels and
Resorts claimed to have suffered a 35 per cent loss of

Imported white Italian marble have been used in the
renovated hotel to give the floors the look of an ice-skating

Investigations revealed that the ten 26/11 terrorists
first entered the Trident hotel of the Oberoi group and from
there moved on to The Oberoi where they killed 35 people,
including nine foreigners, besides inflicting heavy damage on
the property.

Before entering the Trident, Fahadullah and Abdul
Rehman Chotta planted a 10 kg RDX-laden IED on the slope of a
flowerbed adjacent to the entrance.

Later, the IED exploded but the damage was minimised
as a bomb detection and disposal squad had placed a bomb
blanket on the IED.

Immediately on entering the hotel, the terrorists
started firing from their AK-47 rifles and lobbing hand
grenades. The initial blitzkrieg led to several innocent
lives being lost at the bell desk, reception counter, lobby
and Tiffin Restaurant.

The terrorists planted another 10 kg of RDX-laden IED
near the Tiffin Restaurant which too exploded. The killers
took hostages from the Kandahar Restaurant and went to the
upper floors where they set two rooms on fire.

From this vantage location they held the security
forces at bay by firing intermittently from their AK-47 rifles
and hurling hand grenades at them. The fight lasted for 42
hours. Ultimately, both terrorists were killed by security


First Published: Friday, April 9, 2010 - 18:16
comments powered by Disqus