New minister Deepa Dasmunshi is Mamata bete noir
New Delhi: Deepa Dasmunshi, who was inducted into the union council of ministers Sunday, is popular among the West Bengal Congress for her persistent and stubborn opposition to Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee.
Dasmunsi, 52, the wife of Congress leader and former union minister Priya Ranjan Dashmunshi, who has been comatose for several years after suffering a cerebral stroke, was sworn in as union minister of state for urban development.
After the Congress-Trinamool divorce, Dasmunshi`s anointment as a central minister is being seen as a reward for her guts during the Congress` difficult times in West Bengal as the high command tries to raise the pitch against Banerjee and rebuild the party in the state.
An award-winning theatre activist who joined politics after her marriage, Dasmunshi became an MLA from Goalpokhar constituency in North Dinajpur district in 2006, before winning the Lok Sabha polls from her husband`s constituency Raiganj in 2009.
A gold medallist in her post-graduation in dramatics from Rabindra Bharati University, Dasmunshi is a good orator. She is characterised by the large red bindi that she always wears.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre