New Rashtrapati Bhavan museum to open Friday
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee will Friday inaugurate a museum at Rashtrapati Bhavan, an official statement said Wednesday.
The story of the presidential palace will be narrated in the museum through sound, light and video animation.
Housed in what used to be stables and a coach house used by the British rulers, the museum has been dedicated to the nation by the president, who completed two years in office earlier this month, the statement said.
"The museum will be open every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Entry to the museum will be through gate no.30 on Mother Teresa Crescent road and is free of cost. Bookings can be made through www.presidentofindia.nic.in," it said.
However, from Nov 1, Rs.25 per head would be charged as registration fee by the Rashtrapati Bhavan to "maintain and improve services to public". Children below 12 years will be exempted from the fee.
"Visitors in group of 30 people will be charged Rs.600 lump sum per visit and Rs.25 per visitor for additional persons," said the statement.
"The museum will narrate the story of the Rashtrapati Bhavan using sound, light and video animations with each room relating a story about India right from the Delhi Durbar of 1911 when the capital of British India was shifted to Delhi and Edward Lutyens was tasked with building seats of government.
"It has a simulated battlefield with arms mounted on warriors, examples of furniture designed by Edwin Lutyens for the Viceroy`s residence, ceremonial coaches, photographs, paintings of the 19th Century, sketches and gifts received by successive Presidents from national and foreign dignitaries etc," it added
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Each passing year is a reward for me, says Amitabh Bachchan on his 73rd birthday
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off