New scheme to provide assistance to rape victims
New Delhi: In a bid to ensure restorative
justice to the rape victims, the government has formulated a
new scheme of financial assistance and support services to
enable them to cope with the trauma and tide over their
immediate and long-term needs.
"The scheme seeks to restore the affected women to a
position of dignity and self-confidence," says the report card
of UPA-II government, presented by Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on Saunday, on the completion of two years in power.
"A new scheme of financial assistance and support
services to victims of rape has been formulated to provide
financial assistance to enable the victims of rape to cope
with the trauma suffered and tide over their immediate and
"The ceiling of financial assistance, together with
support services, is Rs 2 lakh, which can be enhanced to Rs 3
lakh in case of `aggravated rape`," it said.
The report also highlights the alarming incidents of
sexual offences against children.
"The reported incidents of sexual offences against
children have been on the rise. At the same time, the
conviction rate for such offences has been going down," it
To address this issue, a bill on Protection of Children
from Sexual Offences has been introduced in Parliament this
year, the report said.
On the issue of sexual harassment of women at the
workplace, the government said it is a violation of women`s
right to equality, life and liberty.
Protection of Women against Sexual Harassment at
Workplace bill has been introduced in the Lok Sabha during the
winter session of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre