New scheme to provide assistance to rape victims
New Delhi: In a bid to ensure restorative
justice to the rape victims, the government has formulated a
new scheme of financial assistance and support services to
enable them to cope with the trauma and tide over their
immediate and long-term needs.
"The scheme seeks to restore the affected women to a
position of dignity and self-confidence," says the report card
of UPA-II government, presented by Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on Saunday, on the completion of two years in power.
"A new scheme of financial assistance and support
services to victims of rape has been formulated to provide
financial assistance to enable the victims of rape to cope
with the trauma suffered and tide over their immediate and
"The ceiling of financial assistance, together with
support services, is Rs 2 lakh, which can be enhanced to Rs 3
lakh in case of `aggravated rape`," it said.
The report also highlights the alarming incidents of
sexual offences against children.
"The reported incidents of sexual offences against
children have been on the rise. At the same time, the
conviction rate for such offences has been going down," it
To address this issue, a bill on Protection of Children
from Sexual Offences has been introduced in Parliament this
year, the report said.
On the issue of sexual harassment of women at the
workplace, the government said it is a violation of women`s
right to equality, life and liberty.
Protection of Women against Sexual Harassment at
Workplace bill has been introduced in the Lok Sabha during the
winter session of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!