New Team Manmohan meets to chart out way forward
New Delhi: Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh is holding the first meeting of his new Council of Ministers on Thursday since the Union Cabinet reshuffle last week.
The meeting is taking place at the 7, Race Course Road residence of the Prime Minister.
During In the meeting, PM Singh is expected to set individual targets to be achieved in the remaining tenure of the UPA government.
The first such meeting was convened in May 2009, soon after the UPA-II government assumed office. Another such meeting was convened by the Prime Minister when junior ministers had complained of seniors not allocating them enough work.
Besides the Prime Minister, the meeting would also be addressed by Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
Official sources said that a highlight of the meeting would be the Prime Minister`s efforts to revive the economy and he is expected to seek greater coordination among his colleagues to implement key decisions taken in the recent past.
Among the issues pending to be tackled are a number of legislations related to financial and education sectors like the Goods and Services Tax Bill and the Educational Tribunal Bill.
Also likely to be flagged are the Land Acquisition and Rehabilitation Bill and the National Food Security legislation over which differences were being ironed out.
The meeting comes after the Prime Minister carried out reshuffle of his Council of Ministers on Sunday by inducting 17 new faces and re-assigning responsibilities, especially to young ministers.
Ministers of State, who do not get to attend the weekly meetings of the Union Cabinet, are likely to get an opportunity to present their views in today`s meeting.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why