New Team Manmohan meets to chart out way forward
New Delhi: Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh is holding the first meeting of his new Council of Ministers on Thursday since the Union Cabinet reshuffle last week.
The meeting is taking place at the 7, Race Course Road residence of the Prime Minister.
During In the meeting, PM Singh is expected to set individual targets to be achieved in the remaining tenure of the UPA government.
The first such meeting was convened in May 2009, soon after the UPA-II government assumed office. Another such meeting was convened by the Prime Minister when junior ministers had complained of seniors not allocating them enough work.
Besides the Prime Minister, the meeting would also be addressed by Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
Official sources said that a highlight of the meeting would be the Prime Minister`s efforts to revive the economy and he is expected to seek greater coordination among his colleagues to implement key decisions taken in the recent past.
Among the issues pending to be tackled are a number of legislations related to financial and education sectors like the Goods and Services Tax Bill and the Educational Tribunal Bill.
Also likely to be flagged are the Land Acquisition and Rehabilitation Bill and the National Food Security legislation over which differences were being ironed out.
The meeting comes after the Prime Minister carried out reshuffle of his Council of Ministers on Sunday by inducting 17 new faces and re-assigning responsibilities, especially to young ministers.
Ministers of State, who do not get to attend the weekly meetings of the Union Cabinet, are likely to get an opportunity to present their views in today`s meeting.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!