New trains announced to keep Mamata`s promise
New Delhi: A week ahead of his maiden budget March 14, Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi on Friday announced 26 new trains, extended runs of five existing trains, increased the frequency of two trains and introduced five new suburban trains, promised by his party boss Mamata Banerjee last year.
Though a high-level panel, headed by Atomic Energy Commission former chairman Anil Kakodkar, advised Trivedi not to announce any new trains in the Budget 2012-13 as it affects safety of the network, officials said Friday`s announcement is part of the promise made in last year`s railway budget presented by Mamata Banerjee.
"The trains announced in the Railway Budget 2011-12 are implemented by the end of the financial year March 31," said an official statement.
With this announcement, 115 of the 132 new trains that the Railway Budget of 2011-12 proposed for introduction will be operational, 19 out of 22 will increase their frequency and all the proposed extensions of runs of trains will get implemented, said the release.
Friday`s announcement includes three Durontos, one Shatabdi, one fully air-conditioned Express, three Rajyarani Express and nine Mail and Express trains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida