New trains announced to keep Mamata`s promise
New Delhi: A week ahead of his maiden budget March 14, Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi on Friday announced 26 new trains, extended runs of five existing trains, increased the frequency of two trains and introduced five new suburban trains, promised by his party boss Mamata Banerjee last year.
Though a high-level panel, headed by Atomic Energy Commission former chairman Anil Kakodkar, advised Trivedi not to announce any new trains in the Budget 2012-13 as it affects safety of the network, officials said Friday`s announcement is part of the promise made in last year`s railway budget presented by Mamata Banerjee.
"The trains announced in the Railway Budget 2011-12 are implemented by the end of the financial year March 31," said an official statement.
With this announcement, 115 of the 132 new trains that the Railway Budget of 2011-12 proposed for introduction will be operational, 19 out of 22 will increase their frequency and all the proposed extensions of runs of trains will get implemented, said the release.
Friday`s announcement includes three Durontos, one Shatabdi, one fully air-conditioned Express, three Rajyarani Express and nine Mail and Express trains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video