New twist in Norway custody row
New Delhi: India has put on hold the visit a senior official to Norway in connection with the NRI children custody row and is awaiting an update from its mission there about the "changing situation" amidst reports of differences between the parents.
"Government has tried its best to bring the children home so that they have a future in the country. But a new situation has developed.... we cannot interfere.
The visit of a Joint Secretary (to Norway) has been postponed," Minister of
State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur told reporters outside Parliament House.
She said the government will look into the situation before taking the next step.
The case is scheduled to come up from hearing on Friday in a local court in Norway, Thomas Bore Olsen, communication officer in the Child Welfare Department, said from Norway.
Amid reports that he has filed for legal separation from his wife Sagarika, Anurup Bhattacharya came out with a denial today saying that though there might have been some "unavoidable" circumstances at home, he has not moved for divorce. "We (I and my wife) are fighting this matter together," he said.
Abhigyan (3) and Aishwarya (1) were taken away from their parents by the Stavanger Child Welfare Services last May on grounds of `emotional disconnect` and has been since put in foster care.
"Situation is changing even as we speak....Details regarding the current situation are being ascertained by the Indian embassy in Oslo from all the parties concerned
including the parents, parental uncle and the Stavanger Child Welfare Services.
Once we get the detailed report....," Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai said.
Noting that the ministry would not like to interfere in the the family matters of the Bhattacharyas, he said further action will be taken only after getting "substantive" report from our mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say