New US State Secretary John Kerry calls Khurshid, discusses Indo-US ties
New Delhi: New US Secretary of State John Kerry has called up External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid who said India was looking forward to take the bilateral ties to a higher level encompassing diverse sectors.
Kerry, who favours strong ties with India, thanked Khurshid and appreciated his congratulatory letter soon after his confirmation as Secretary of State by the US Senate.
Khurshid said he was looking forward to work with Kerry to take forward the India-US bilateral strategic relationship, which is at a "historically unprecedented high", to a further higher level encompassing diverse sectors, official sources said here.
Congratulating Kerry, the External Affairs Minister mentioned that he was delighted on his assumption of the high responsibility in the US government and he was aware of Kerry`s enormous talent in handling of South Asia-related matters in the recent years.
Kerry was sworn in as the US Secretary of State on February 2, replacing Hillary Clinton.
In a telephonic conversation that lasted for seven minutes, Khurshid said he was eagerly looking forward to Kerry`s visit to India for the Third Annual India-US Strategic Dialogue scheduled later this year.
He also recounted Kerry`s significant contribution in furthering India-US relationship during his tenure as Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, official sources said.
Kerry requested Khurshid to convey his wishes to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
In this context, he recalled his visit to India with a large business delegation when Singh was Finance Minister and also his fond memories of that meeting.
Kerry is a strong advocate of peace talks between India and Pakistan as he firmly believes that there are few relationships that will be vital in the 21st century for Washington`s ties with New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog