New warehouses being set up for storing foodgrains: Pawar
New Delhi: A day after the Supreme Court asked the central government to deal with the problem of foodgrains rotting in warehouses, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar Friday said the government was taking "appropriate action" and was in the process of setting up new storage facilities.
"The government, the FCI (Food Corporation of India) has taken the responsibility of new godowns and is also introducing tenders. We`ve set time-frames also," Pawar told Rajya Sabha when asked about the construction of modern storehouses in view of huge amounts of grains being wasted in the absence of adequate facilities.
"We are also visiting godowns where grains are being wasted and will take appropriate action." he said.
Pawar added that his ministry is asking the state governments to lease or provide land for setting up new warehouses for storage.
Pawar admitted that there there had been no reduction in the prices of some products, but stressed that the government was "still trying its best to control them".
Pawar, however, added that the interests of the poor are being taken care of as the basic commodities are still being sold to people below the poverty line at prices agreed in 2002.
The Supreme Court Thursday said that the government could consider increasing the quantum of food supply to the population Below Poverty Line (BPL), open the fair price shops for all 30 days in a month and distribute foodgrains to the deserving population at a very low cost or no cost.
According to an estimate, 17.8 million tonnes of food grain, which can feed 140 million people for a month, is being wasted because of shortage of storage facilities.
Against this backdrop, the Supreme Court suggested that the government distribute food free of cost to the poor rather than let it go waste.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees