Next government will reverse FDI decision: AIADMK
New Delhi: The AIADMK on Friday gave a "solemn assurance" to reverse the decision to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail after the next Lok Sabha elections.
AIADMK leader V Maitreyan, who moved the motion for a debate on FDI in the Rajya Sabha, said the final vote will be cast by the people in the next election.
"I give a solemn assurance that after the next Lok Sabha elections, the next government will reverse the decision of the UPA, and I stand by this assurance that FDI will only be on paper and will not be implemented in states.
"From now onwards we will see that the debate goes on across the length and breadth of the country and the final vote will be cast by the people at the next Lok Sabha elections," he added.
Slamming the United Progressive Alliance (UPA), the AIADMK leader said it was willing to please foreign retailers and did not care about "public and national interests".
Maitreyan claimed that FDI in retail would not provide organised markets, transportation and storage to farmers to help them get reasonable prices for their produce and won`t save the consumers from being exploited.
He questioned the intent of members who voted for FDI.
"A vast majority of the members are opposed to FDI but it is unfortunate that voting is not on the merits of the issue but other considerations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened