Next government will reverse FDI decision: AIADMK
New Delhi: The AIADMK on Friday gave a "solemn assurance" to reverse the decision to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail after the next Lok Sabha elections.
AIADMK leader V Maitreyan, who moved the motion for a debate on FDI in the Rajya Sabha, said the final vote will be cast by the people in the next election.
"I give a solemn assurance that after the next Lok Sabha elections, the next government will reverse the decision of the UPA, and I stand by this assurance that FDI will only be on paper and will not be implemented in states.
"From now onwards we will see that the debate goes on across the length and breadth of the country and the final vote will be cast by the people at the next Lok Sabha elections," he added.
Slamming the United Progressive Alliance (UPA), the AIADMK leader said it was willing to please foreign retailers and did not care about "public and national interests".
Maitreyan claimed that FDI in retail would not provide organised markets, transportation and storage to farmers to help them get reasonable prices for their produce and won`t save the consumers from being exploited.
He questioned the intent of members who voted for FDI.
"A vast majority of the members are opposed to FDI but it is unfortunate that voting is not on the merits of the issue but other considerations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam