Next hearing in 26/11 attack case set for Mar 6 in Pak court
Islamabad: The hearing in the Mumbai attack case against LeT`s operations chief Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six other suspects could not take place on Saturday in a Pakistani anti-terror court in Rawalpindi in view of local Bar Council elections and the trial will now resume on March 6.
The proceedings, scheduled for today, could not take place because of the Bar Council elections, sources said.
They said it was also not possible to schedule the hearing for next Saturday on February 27 as it would be a public holiday in view of Eid-e Milad-un Nabi, Prophet Mohammad`s birth anniversary.
So, the next hearing in the Mumbai attack case had now been set for March 6, the sources said.
Last week also, the trial, which was being held within high-security Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi, was adjourned without proceedings as the judge was busy with another official work.
The accused -- Lakhvi, Zarar Shah, Abu al-Qama, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jamil Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younas Anjum -- were last year formally charged with planning and helping execute the assault on India`s financial hub in November 2008.
Meanwhile, Lakhvi`s lawyer Khwaja Sultan told a news agency in Lahore that he believed the proceedings in the anti-terrorism court could not go ahead till a bench of the Lahore High Court gave its verdict on Lakhvi`s appeal for acquittal.
The two judges of the Rawalpindi-based bench of the High Court had reserved their verdict on Lakhvi`s application, but were subsequently recalled to Lahore. No new judges have been appointed in their place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?