NGO moves SC against NHRC Chairman K G Balakrishnan
New Delhi: An NGO on Thursday approached the Supreme Court seeking its direction to the Centre to take a time-bound decision on a complaint against NHRC Chairman and former CJI K G Balakrishnan regarding his alleged misconduct during his tenure as a judge in the apex court.
The NGO Common Cause moved the apex court, saying the Centre has failed to take any decision on the complaint despite the apex court order which had on May 10 last year asked the concerned authority to take a decision on the complaint.
The petition today came before a bench headed by Justice D K Jain which said that matter be heard by the same bench which had passed the order.
Justice Balakrishnan had been elevated as a Supreme Court judge in June 2000 and was appointed the Chief Justice of India on January 14, 2007. He retired on May 12, 2010 after which he was appointed NHRC chairman.
The apex court had on May 10 said if there is any truth in the allegations, then it is for the President to make a reference to the Supreme Court, on the advice of Council of Ministers, for inquiry against the former Chief Justice of India.
"In the peculiar facts noticed hereinabove, we are satisfied, that the instant petition deserves to be disposed of by requesting the competent authority to take a decision on the communication dated April 4 2011 (addressed by the Campaign for Judicial Accountability and Reforms, to the President of India).
"If the allegations, in the aforesaid determination, are found to be unworthy of any further action, the petitioner shall be informed accordingly. Alternatively, the President of India, based on the advice of the Council of Ministers, may proceed with the matter in accordance with the mandate of Section 5(2) of the 1993 Act," the court had said.
The NGO had alleged that the ex-CJI and his relatives amassed wealth far exceeding their legal income during Balakrishnan`s tenure as an apex court judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan