NGO recommends review of power scheme
New Delhi: The central government-backed rural electrification scheme, Rajiv Gandhi Gramin Vidyutikaran Yojna (RGGVY), should be reviewed prior to its continuance during the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-17) period, an environment protection organisation said on Friday.
A social audit conducted by Greenpeace pointed to the failure of the scheme due to lack of implementation and awareness in the regions where it was implemented.
"There were serious loopholes found in the scheme`s reaching out plan through audits. Under the scheme, so many below poverty line (BPL) homes have not got an electricity connection," said Manish Ram, climate and energy campaigner, Greenpeace India.
"The government must review the scheme before it is continued in the 12th Five Year Plan, and take the suggestions of people from the regions involved," added Ram.
The audit was conducted in districts of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh.
According to the audit report, many of the BPL families had been left out of the scheme as the implementing agencies have followed the restrictive mandate of electrifying just 10 percent of the households in a village.
The RGGVY began in April 2005 and aimed to accelerate the pace of rural electrification in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing