NGO recommends review of power scheme
New Delhi: The central government-backed rural electrification scheme, Rajiv Gandhi Gramin Vidyutikaran Yojna (RGGVY), should be reviewed prior to its continuance during the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-17) period, an environment protection organisation said on Friday.
A social audit conducted by Greenpeace pointed to the failure of the scheme due to lack of implementation and awareness in the regions where it was implemented.
"There were serious loopholes found in the scheme`s reaching out plan through audits. Under the scheme, so many below poverty line (BPL) homes have not got an electricity connection," said Manish Ram, climate and energy campaigner, Greenpeace India.
"The government must review the scheme before it is continued in the 12th Five Year Plan, and take the suggestions of people from the regions involved," added Ram.
The audit was conducted in districts of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh.
According to the audit report, many of the BPL families had been left out of the scheme as the implementing agencies have followed the restrictive mandate of electrifying just 10 percent of the households in a village.
The RGGVY began in April 2005 and aimed to accelerate the pace of rural electrification in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy