NGO recommends review of power scheme
New Delhi: The central government-backed rural electrification scheme, Rajiv Gandhi Gramin Vidyutikaran Yojna (RGGVY), should be reviewed prior to its continuance during the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-17) period, an environment protection organisation said on Friday.
A social audit conducted by Greenpeace pointed to the failure of the scheme due to lack of implementation and awareness in the regions where it was implemented.
"There were serious loopholes found in the scheme`s reaching out plan through audits. Under the scheme, so many below poverty line (BPL) homes have not got an electricity connection," said Manish Ram, climate and energy campaigner, Greenpeace India.
"The government must review the scheme before it is continued in the 12th Five Year Plan, and take the suggestions of people from the regions involved," added Ram.
The audit was conducted in districts of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh.
According to the audit report, many of the BPL families had been left out of the scheme as the implementing agencies have followed the restrictive mandate of electrifying just 10 percent of the households in a village.
The RGGVY began in April 2005 and aimed to accelerate the pace of rural electrification in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery