NGOs getting public funds come within purview of RTI Act: Delhi HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has held
that non-governmental organisations which get government funds
come within the purview of RTI Act making it mandatory for
them to disclose information pertaining to their functioning.
"The term public authority has been given a broad and
wide meaning not only to include bodies which are owned,
controlled or substantially financed directly or indirectly by
the government but even non-government organisations, which
are substantially financed directly or indirectly by the
government," Justice Sanjeev Khanna said while declaring the
stock exchanges as public authorities.
The court said it is not necessary that the government
should have pervasive and deep control over an organisation to
bring it under the purview of the transparency act.
"Even private organisations, which are enjoying benefit
of substantial funding directly or indirectly from the
governments, fall within the definition of public authorities
under the Act," the court said.
The court passed the order on a petition filed by the
National Stock Exchange (NSE) challenging a Central
Information Commission order which had directed it to disclose
information under the Act.
The court dismissed the plea of NSE which submitted that
they cannot be forced to reveal information to public under
the transparency law as they are autonomous bodies
incorporated under Company Act and are not controlled by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31