NGOs should be brought under Jan Lokpal: Hegde
Kochi: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice N
Santosh Hegde on Wednesday suggested that corporates and NGOs should
also be brought under the purview of the Jan Lokpal bill.
"They should be incorporated. I am for it," he told
reporters when asked about corporates and NGOs not being under
the ambit of the bill drafted by Team Anna, adding he would
suggest for bring them under the ombudsman.
Describing himself as a freelancer now, the former
Supreme Court judge said the bill was "very strong", but not
"monstrous" as was being projected. It was deliberately being
projected as "not answerable" to anyone.
Pointing out that the corruption watchdog is answerable
to the Supreme Court at every level, he said every decision
can be challenged before the court.
He hoped that the bill would be tabled in the Winter
session of Parliament. "The institution called Lokpal will be
constituted. It would not have been constituted if not for
Anna Hazare," he said.
There are enough laws in the country to tackle corruption
but they were not being implemented. There was misapprehension
among people that the Prime Minister does not come under the
Prevention of Corruption Act and every public servant can be
probed by investigating agencies, he said.
As far as the prime minister is concerned, the CBI or the
Delhi Police should take up investigation, but they are not
doing it, he said.
In the case of judiciary, permission has to be taken from
the Chief Justice of India to launch a probe against a sitting
On allegations of corruption against relatives of former
CJI and National Human Rights Commission Chairman, Justice K G
Balakrishnan, Hegde said, "If there is material, he should be
On his report on illegal mining in Karnataka, he said it
was up to the state government to take action on the report.
"I have named over 700 officers in the report besides
ministers, politicians and business houses. Former Karnataka
Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa had to resign, two former chief
ministers were indicted."
Hegde said nobody had offered him the post of Goa
"I was not offered the post. This is the post of a high
court judge and the age limit is 70 and I have crossed 72," he
Replying to another query, he said if each state makes a
Lokpal bill which is as strong as Karnataka Lokayukta, lot of
corruption can be contained.
Earlier, addressing students at the Cochin University of
Science and Technology, Hegde said he was visiting educational
institutions across the country interacting with students and
had so far visited over 300 institutions.
During the next elections, when politicians come calling
for votes, they should be told that they are not
representatives but `public servants`, he said.
Hegde was presented the `Neethi Ratna` award by Assembly
Speaker G Karthikeyan at a function here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday