NGT stays commercial, industrial activities in Aravalli region
New Delhi: Expressing concern over "flagrant violation" of law and environment norms in Aravalli Hills region in Haryana, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has stayed all commercial and industrial activities in some areas there.
Taking suo motu cognisance of environmental pollution and unauthorised non-forest activities going on in the villages in the region, the NGT bench headed by Justice Swatanter Kumar also directed the Pollution Control Board of Haryana to file a report on the level of pollution in the region by analysing the sample air taken from the villages in the region.
"There is flagrant violation of the law and environment standards and illegal activities being carried on. We hereby restrain carrying on of any commercial activity by construction of sheds or even industrial activity including sale and purchase of marble, liquor and gas godowns in the village Sikandrapur Ghosi (in the Aravalli hill region) till the next date of hearing.
"We further direct that the forest areas in all three villages shall be duly protected and maintained and no non forest activity would be permitted to carry on in those villages," it said.
The bench, also comprising judicial member Justice P Jyothimani and expert members GK Pandey, DK Agarwal and AR Yousuf, posted the case for further hearing on February 7.
The tribunal also clubbed with this case a similar plea before it alleging environmental pollution and unauthorised use of forest area for non-forest activities in the Aravalli hills region.
"Both of them relate to the pollution of the environment, unauthorised use of forest area for non forest activities and carrying on mining activity. Though they relate to different villages in districts Faridabad and Gurgaon in Haryana but they all pertain to Aravali hills. Thus, we direct both these matters to be heard together," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video