NHAI invites bids to replace ex-armymen at toll plazas
New Delhi: In a move that has raised the
hackles of 25,000 ex-servicemen manning highway toll plazas,
the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has invited
bids to rope in private agencies for the job.
"The process of procurement of user fee collection agency
by calling open competitive bids is to be started with
immediate effect," NHAI said in its guidelines, issued on June
As expected, the move has not gone down well with
ex-servicemen, who collect user charges on behalf of NHAI at
about 150 plazas on different highways.
"We met Defence Minister A K Antony, who assured us that
he would take up the matter with Highways Minister Kamal Nath.
We intend to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh shortly," Ex-
Servicemen Association (ESA) secretary general HS Choudhary
He said that toll plazas were alloted to ex-servicemen in
2004 through the Directorate General (Rehabilitation). They
had enhanced toll collection by 80 per cent since then, he
"Disbanding ex-servicemen and auctioning the plazas has
come as a shock to us," he said.
When asked for his reaction, NHAI chairman Brijeshwar
Singh said that ex-servicemen were roped in on an ad hoc
basis. "Now, we have decided on a rational policy. We want to
engage professional agencies," he said.
However, Singh said that ex-servicemen would continue to
man toll collection booths in disturbed areas, besides Jammu
and Kashmir and North-Eastern states.
But ESA president HS Yadav countered the claim by saying
that there are no toll plazas in these areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview