NHAI`s call centre plan hits roadblock
New Delhi: The National Highways Authority of India`s (NHAI) ambitious plan to set up round the clock call centres across the country, mainly to facilitate fast reporting of accidents, seems to have hit a roadblock as it failed to get any response from bidders.
"The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) failed to get any response from bidders for developing five call centres in different regions of the country. Now it has
extended the date for applications with modifications in the bids," a senior official told a news agency.
The Authority has come out with plans to set up five call centres -- one each in backward and tribal-dominated areas of eastern, western, northern, southern and central regions of
the country in the wake of rising number of fatalities due to road accidents.
It had invited tenders from private developers, the last date of which has been extended to October 20 from September 27 due to no response from the bidders, as per information.
These centres at Kalsi, Dehradun (Uttaranchal), Udagamandalam, Nilgiris district (Tamil Nadu), Shillong (Meghalaya), Dahod district, Gujarat and Chhindwara district,
Madhya Pradesh, as per the plan, could be accessed through a single four digit toll free number.
"We have already applied to the Department of Telecom for four-digit toll free number," the official said.
Sources said that the reason behind no response was not only the location of the call centres but lack of information regarding density of calls, time period of storage of data
The need for the call centres was felt in the wake of rising number of road accidents. The country accounts for one of the highest number of deaths globally due to road
accidents. According to the official data, about 1.5 lakh persons die due to road accidents annually in the country.
Apart from informing about road accidents, people can lodge complaints on issues like poor maintenance or roads and other irregularities which would be forwarded to officials
concerned for rectifications, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing