NHRC asks Home Ministry to pay compensation
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission on Thursday asked the Union Home Ministry to pay Rs 5 lakh each to the next of kin of the five persons who died in an encounter with Assam Rifles in Sonitpur District of Assam in April, 2009.
The Commission wanted the MHA to pay the monetary relief within a period of eight weeks and also sought a compliance report from the Union Home Secretary along with the proof of payment on or before March 20.
Rejecting the report from the Assam Rifles in the matter, Commission observed that it was not provided any proof that any of these five men had either handled or fired the weapons allegedly recovered from the scene of the incident.
"Further, no explanation was offered by the MHA to show that there was no violation of human rights in the incident and for that reason, the next of kin of the five deceased should be compensated," a statement issued by the NHRC said.
The Commission also noted that the Magistrate, who conducted the enquiry, had held that four out of the five men might have had involvement with an extremist organisation, but had not examined the circumstances of their deaths.
"Even if these men had extremist links, the Commission`s examination of the reports sent by the Assam Rifles and by the police, made it difficult to accept the claim that the men were killed in a genuine encounter," the NHRC said.
The Commission took suo motu cognizance of the matter on September 16, 2011 following information provided on the website of Assam Police that five MULTA and NDFB activists were killed in an encounter with Assam Rifles personnel on April 19 in 2009 at Akabasti under Rangapara Police Station in Sonitpur District.
However, no intimation in this regard seemed to have had been received in the Commission as per its guidelines.
Subsequently, notices were issued to the Union Home Secretary, Director General of Police, Assam, District Magistrate and Superintendent of Police, Sonitpur to take appropriate action with regard to the investigation of the case and submit requisite reports.
DGP, Assam was also asked to explain as to why intimation about the said incident was not sent to the Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in