NHRC cell to monitor bonded & child labour cases
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission (NHRC) has set up a dedicated cell to monitor the
progress in cases of bonded labour and child labour, taken up
with different public authorities by the Commission.
The decision to create the cell was taken as a focused
attention is needed to coordinate with the Centre, States and
Union Territories for better and expeditious action to
eliminate bonded labour as already directed by the Supreme
Court, an NHRC spokesperson said.
The cell has ten point charter of activities on the
issue, which includes constituting a Core Group on bonded
labour to advise the NHRC in chalking out and suggesting
strategies to the State and Central Governments for
elimination of bonded labour in the country.
The Cell will also constitute an NHRC team which can
carry out surprise visits to bonded labour prone areas with
the assistance of the social action groups operating in such
areas and develop an instruction manual for the States
detailing a comprehensive check list for identification,
release and rehabilitation of bonded labourers and issues of
release certificate to freed bonded labourers.
It will also review the existing schemes of the Central
and State Governments on bonded labour and suggest
modifications to make them more practical and relevant to the
current situation and recommend creation of a non-lapsable
fund in each district for rehabilitation of freed bonded
The Cell will also recommend states to organise
orientation training programmes in each bonded labour prone
district for sensitisation of all members of Vigilance
Committees and also for the field functionaries of labour law
enforcement, in each calendar year.
It will also recommend to the states to constitute a
State Level Monitoring and Coordination Committee under the
chairmanship of Chief Secretary with Secretaries to Government
of various departments as members. The Committee will convene
meetings to take stock of bonded labour situation in their
state and apprise the Commission in every six months.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal