NHRC chairman favours health as fundamental right
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission chairman KG Balakrishnan on Wednesday advocated for the inclusion of the right to health in the list of fundamental rights.
"Making the right to health a fundamental right in the constitution would be an important way forward in improving the overall health services scenario and providing universal healthcare in the country," an NHRC statement quoted Balakrishnan as saying.
The chairman was speaking on the last day of the two-day conference on "Healthcare as a Human Right," organised by the NHRC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Revealed! Why 'Baahubali' didn’t feature a Bollywood star-cast!
- Top 5 ways to deal with mid-life crisis!
- Allahabad HC declines to entertain PIL to restrain media coverage of Kairana incident
- Despite tough training, we'll continue our Ramadan fast: Misbah-ul-Haq tells Mickey Arthur
- Shah Rukh, Ranbir, Abhishek and Amitabh clicked together at Pro Kabaddi League! Pics inside