NHRC committee to frame guidelines for drug trials
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Friday constituted a committee to frame guidelines for clinical trial of drugs in the country.
The five-member panel will represent premier medical institutions of the country while NHRC will coordinate its meetings, a statement said.
The committee includes Dr D C Doval, Director (Research and Medical Oncology), Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre, Prof Vivekanand Jha of PGIMER, Chandigarh and Prof B N Dhawan, former Director, Central Drug Research Institute and Chairman of Institutional Ethics Committee of Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow.
The other members are Dr Subhash Yadav of SGPGI in Lucknow and Dr Nilima Kshirsgar of Indian Council of Medical Research.
NHRC had earlier taken suo motu cognisance of media reports alleging unethical clinical drug trials in some parts of the country.
The Commission has also decided to intervene in a public interest litigation relating to the clinical trials of drugs pending before the Supreme Court. The PIL has been filed by an Indore- based NGO, Swasthya Adhikar Manch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples