NHRC issues notice in Chennai boy killing case
New Delhi: The NHRC on Wednesday issued notice to
the Defence Secretary and the Chennai Police Commissioner
seeking their reports on the killing of a teenaged boy in
defence area in Chennai.
The National Human Rights Commission has asked both
the Defence Secretary and police chief to submit detailed
reports in the matter within four weeks, a spokesperson said.
The issuance of the notice came after NHRC received a
complaint based on one of the media reports that 13-year-old
Dilshan was shot dead allegedly by an army personnel as he
tried to trespass into the defence area.
The incident occurred on July 3 at the Island
Grounds area that houses army residential quarters, where
Dilshan had allegedly gone to pick some fruits.
Meanwhile, Army Chief General VK Singh promised
strong action against anybody found guilty but said the entire
force should not be defamed if any individual is suspected.
"Whoever has committed any mistake in the incident,
be it an officer or a jawan, strong action will be taken
against him," Singh said.
A Lt Colonel and a jawan have been questioned by Crime
Branch-CID in connection with the incident. However, no one
has been arrested so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH