`NHRC not in favour of curbs on media reporting`
New Delhi: NHRC Chairperson KG Balakrishnan Friday said the Commission would not like to have any curbs on media reporting which has an important role in promotion and protection of human rights.
He was asked about NHRC`s stand on the Supreme Court appointing a committee to make guidelines for media reporting during a media workshop organised by the Commission.
"The Commission is a formal party in the matter. However, it has decided not to intervene in it as the issue is only about reporting on court proceedings and not for general issues.
"The NHRC would not like to have any curbs on media reporting and it would rather want to have as much increased interface with media as possible for building awareness on human rights issues," he said.
He said media has an important role in the promotion and protection of human rights.
The decision not to intervene in the Supreme Court matter, which is being heard at present by a Bench headed by Chief Justice S H Kapadia, was taken at a recent sitting of the Commission presided by Chairperson Justice K G Balakrishnan.
The Supreme Court constituted a bench to frame media guidelines following "misreporting" of certain proceedings in the court as well as reporting matters which were yet to come to the court.
The case has been vigorously argued in the court with some senior lawyers opposing any attempt to frame guidelines saying it would amount to curbing free speech while one senior lawyer has welcomed it.
Earlier in an interview to PTI, Balakrishnan had flagged concerns about the press breaching privacy laws and rights of accused though he said that NHRC was not intervening in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre