NHRC recommends action in several cases during 2-day hearing
Chennai: A two-day hearing of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) here saw a range of cases being probed and recommendation of action, including directions to state government on the sensitive issue of denial of worship rights to SC/ST community members in some temples in Tamil Nadu.
NHRC headed by its Chairman Justice K G Balakrishnan described the hearing as "very very successful," while acknowledging the cooperation of the state government, but not before the latter was pulled up for "not very satisfactory" response on August 7, the first day of the hearing.
"The two-day hearing was very very successful and solutions were found for many cases, As for the pending cases, we will continue to pursue with the officials and NGOs," Balakrishnan said on the outcome of the hearing where the rights body took up 317 cases and disposed off 159 of them.
Asked about the temple worship denial issue, Commission member Satyabrata Pal said state government officials have been asked to ensure proper access to all people irrespective of the community to places of worship.
A wide range of cases including encroachment of a grave yard of SC/ST people by upper caste members came up.
The Commission recommended prosecution of the encroachers under Section 3(1)(v) of SC/ST Act and also recommended prosecution of the negligent government officer under Section 4 of the Act," NHRC said.
Further, treating as a "special case," the incident of gang rape of a minor girl with speech and hearing impairment, the Commission recommended "adequate financial assistance" to her.
Without disclosing the quantum, NHRC said it had recommended that the assistance be given from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015