NHRC says no rape at Lakhimpur, Bhatta-Parsaul
New Delhi: In a blow to the critics of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati, a probe by the National Human Right Commission (NHRC) has found the allegations of rape at Lakhimpur Kheri police station and at Bhatta Parsaul as baseless.
According to a report in a leading English daily, the NHRC states in its 800-page report that there was no basis to believe Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi`s claim about police raping women and killing people in Bhatta Parsaul, the epicentre of recent stir by farmers.
The report however gives a detailed account of police excess on Bhatta Parsaul villagers who were protesting against land acquisition.
Separately, the NHRC probe into alleged rape and murder of a minor girl at Nighasan police station in Lakhimpur Kheri district found the girl wasn’t sexually assaulted as her hymen was intact and there was no sign of any injury to her private parts. The probe however found the girl had resisted attempts of sexual assault leading to her strangulation by the accused. The minor was found hanging inside the police station complex.
The newspaper reported NHRC sources as saying that the separate reports were submitted to chairman Justice KG Balakrishnan. The sources added that the full commission would meet soon to look into the reports and then forward recommendations to the UP government on the two purported incidents of police excess.
It should be noted that National Commission for Women (NCW) had found the Congress` allegations to be true.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!