NHRC seeks MEA report on attacks on fishermen
New Delhi: Acting on a petition by BJP
president Nitin Gadkari, the National Human Rights Commission
has asked the Ministry of External Affairs to submit a report
on the issue of attacks on Indian fishermen allegedly by the
Sri Lankan Navy.
The BJP leader had submitted the petition in person to
the rights panel, seeking its intervention on the matter.
The petition contended that fishermen of Tamil Nadu
sometimes stray into the Sri Lankan waters without realising
that they have crossed the international boundary, official
"Such innocent fishermen are quite often shot at or
tortured by the Sri Lankan Navy and the Indian government is
doing nothing to protect them," NHRC said citing the petition.
The NHRC, while hearing the matter on March 3, said the
copy of the petition be forwarded to the ministry and a report
be sought from the Secretary, MEA, within a fortnight.
Two fishermen from Tamil Nadu were killed allegedly by
Sri Lankan naval personnel earlier this year, causing outrage
in India. Sri Lanka has, however, denied involvement of its
Navy in the incidents.
A total of eight Indian fishermen were killed allegedly
by the Sri Lankan forces since 2008 with the latest incidents
being reported in January this year, the government had told
the Rajya Sabha on February 24.
Sri Lanka had also apprehended 136 Indian fishermen for
allegedly poaching in its waters in February, but released
them within a couple of days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people