NHRC takes up suo motu case on corporal punishment
New Delhi: The NHRC has taken suo motu
cognizance of an alleged case of corporal punishment given to
a minor student in a government school here and issued a
notice to the Directorate of Education, asking it to submit a
report within four weeks.
Twelve-year-old Lucky Bhola, a student of Government
Senior Bal Vidyalaya in Jahngirpuri, allegedly sustained a
fracture in his left hand after he was beaten up by a teacher
in the school recently.
The rights body took cognizance of the incident on the
basis of the media reports.
The media reports, carried on the November 27, alleged
that Bhola was severely beaten up by his teacher Brahma
Prakash, because the boy had gone out of the classroom to
drink water without taking his permission, NHRC noted.
The family of Bhola only came to know about the incident
after he returned home from the school and complained of
unbearable pain in his injured hand, it said.
According to media reports, Bhola was diagnosed to have
had sustained a fracture in his hand only after his family
members took him to Babu Jagjeevan Ram Hospital for treatment,
the rights body observed.
"Contents of the press report, if true, raise serious
issue of the violation of human rights of Lucky Bhola," NHRC
observed, seeking a report from the Directorate of Education
on the incident within four weeks from the date of the receipt
of its notice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs