NHRC takes up suo motu case on corporal punishment
New Delhi: The NHRC has taken suo motu
cognizance of an alleged case of corporal punishment given to
a minor student in a government school here and issued a
notice to the Directorate of Education, asking it to submit a
report within four weeks.
Twelve-year-old Lucky Bhola, a student of Government
Senior Bal Vidyalaya in Jahngirpuri, allegedly sustained a
fracture in his left hand after he was beaten up by a teacher
in the school recently.
The rights body took cognizance of the incident on the
basis of the media reports.
The media reports, carried on the November 27, alleged
that Bhola was severely beaten up by his teacher Brahma
Prakash, because the boy had gone out of the classroom to
drink water without taking his permission, NHRC noted.
The family of Bhola only came to know about the incident
after he returned home from the school and complained of
unbearable pain in his injured hand, it said.
According to media reports, Bhola was diagnosed to have
had sustained a fracture in his hand only after his family
members took him to Babu Jagjeevan Ram Hospital for treatment,
the rights body observed.
"Contents of the press report, if true, raise serious
issue of the violation of human rights of Lucky Bhola," NHRC
observed, seeking a report from the Directorate of Education
on the incident within four weeks from the date of the receipt
of its notice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh