NIA asked to produce David Headley
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday directed the
NIA to produce before it on May 31 Pakistani-American David
Coleman Headley, his accomplice Tahawwur Rana, LeT founder
Hafiz Saeed and 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman
Lakhvi for allegedly carrying out several terror strikes in
District Judge H S Sharma also issued fresh Non-Bailable
Warrants (NBWs) against Pakistan Army officials Major Iqbal
and Major Sameer Ali, Al-Qaeda operative Illyas Kashmiri,
Headley`s handler Sajid Malik and former Pakistani Army
officer Abdul Rehman Hashmi, co-accused in the case.
The court fixed the matter for further hearing on May 31
after the National Investigation Agency apprised it that the
earlier warrants and summons were not duly served.
During the last hearing, the court after taking cognisance
of the voluminous charge sheet of the National Investigation
Agency had issued process against Headley, Rana, Saeed and
Lakhvi and NBWs against the other five accused for their
alleged roles in various terror attacks in the country.
It had also allowed the NIA`s plea to issue a letter of
request to the Kingdom of Morocco for judicial assistance to
collect more evidence against the accused.
The NIA had urged the court to issue a letter rogatory to
Morocco to help it further investigate the role of Headley`s
second wife Faiza Outalha in the 26/11 attacks and ascertain
According to the NIA, Outalha hails from Morocco and she
had made visits to India in April 2007 and June, July and
The NIA had told the court that Red Corner Notice (RCN)
has already been issued by the Bombay Police against Headley
The NIA, in its charge sheet filed on December 24, had
accused 51-year-old Headley, Rana, Saeed and six others for
planning and executing terror strikes in India, including the
26/11 Mumbai attack.
The NIA had initially registered a case against Headley
and Rana but after a thorough probe, seven other names were
included in the case.
The charge sheet, which was filed after two years of
probe by the central agencies, contained statements of 134
witnesses along with 210 documents and 106 e-mails.
Headley and Rana are at present in the custody of the US
authorities and the NIA has only got a limited access to
Headley who had entered into plea bargain with US authorities
to escape harsh sentence.
The court had earlier noted in its order that Headley was
taken into custody by the Federal Bureau of Investigation
(FBI) on October 3, 2009 and he had also voluntarily made plea
of guilt before the competent authority.
The district judge had also said a court here, in its
order on July 21, 2010, had issued NBWs against Lakhvi, Malik,
Abdul Rehman Hashmi, Major Iqbal, Major Ali and Kashmiri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda